Dorsey Metrology and Dorsey dial bore gages are probably your best choice for the following reasons:
- they are manufactured and assembled in the USA
- there are a great many optional configurations available for each model
- if you need customized gages, they can be made in a matter of a few weeks
- if you have special requirements, Dorsey can suggest a solution for you
- if you need replacement parts, they are readily available
- if there is a warranty issue it can be quickly resolved without overseas complications
- if you need repair service, it is available from independent repair shops as well as Dorsey itself
- Dorsey Metrology is a really nice company to work with. They won't let you down.
- did we mention that they are made in the USA?
What are the Standard Bore Gage styles?
- Style 1: standard format shown on this page
- Style 2: right angle, for jig boring and other applications
- Style 3: vertical, for vertical axis bores at eye level, ideal for bench inspection
- Style 4: perpendicular, for vertical axis bores which are below eye level
- Style 5: pistol grip, for applications with limited access
- Style 7: flush mount, for applications with limited access
Whatever happened to Standard Gage dial bore gages?
Until 2002 Standard Gage dial bore gages were manufactured in Poughkeepsie, New York. They made several different bore gage configurations at that time (perpendicular and vertical for example).
Subsequently, Standard Gage dial bore gages were purchases by Brown & Sharpe and were made in Switzerland but these were discontinued as of February 2015.
For the time being, spare parts and repairs are still available for these older models through Long Island Indicator Service.
As a perfect replacement, you can opt to purchase the Dorsey Standard bore gage made in USA.
Dorsey dial bore gages have identical measuring heads but the dial indicator will carry the name Dorsey (see below). In all other respects, these bore gages are the same as the old Made-in-Poughkeepsie models. (For reference, the Mitutoyo dial bore gage series 545 is a close look-alike but parts will not be interchangeable.)
- Digital versions are also available with the option of converting your dial bore gage into a digital electronic gage.
- See our page 8 for a comparison with other brands of dial bore gages.
- Metric dial bore gages are also available.
- Optional carbide, nylon and diamond contacts are now available. See parts on page 72.
In order to keep prices down, most of these gages now ship in a simple styrofoam box. However, sturdy wood storage boxes are available for special orders such as bore gages with long depth extensions and for the combi-kits. Wood boxes can also be purchased as an option (see bottom of this page).
Made-in-USA Dorsey Standard Bore Gage model No.5 is shown above with single revolution indicator.
Note that many of our Standard Bore Gages feature extended ranges, beyond those offered in regular catalogs.
The Centralizing Plungers automatically locate the gaging contacts on the bore diameter even when the gage is inserted at an angle.
Dial indicator graduations are .0001" or 0.002 mm and each model comes complete with all range extensions and adapters. The gaging depth shown is the maximum depth without depth extensions (available separately). Setting rings are not included, nor are they required.
Dorsey Standard bore gages have dials with convenient revolution counters or standard single revolution dials which can reduce confusion about readings. These versions are made in USA and are designated with the prefix DS in the price chart below.
- All bore gages size 2 through 6 come standard with steel contacts. The gaging contacts and/or the centralizing contacts are also available in carbide, Delron® nylon or diamond in some cases.
- Gages ship in styro packaging unless they have extended lengths, in which case no packaging is included. Wooden storage cases are sold optionally for Size 2 and larger.
- Repair service is available from Long Island Indicator Service or directly from the manufacturer for customized gages. Repair parts are easily obtained. Refer to page 72.
- Standard No.0 dial bore gages are no longer available.
- Storage boxes are not included. Wooden storage boxes are optional. See information below.
- Additional gaging depths up to 36" are available for Models 2 through 6. Inquire about pricing.
- Instructions for use