This page is designed to help you find equivalents to metric dial indicators which you might own or want to replace. It will show the new models when others have become obsolete. It can also help you find better quality equivalents or—vice versa—cheaper alternatives.
We've taken the major parameters into account: the range, the graduations, the dial diameter and the stem diameter.
We've divided the models into groups of those with 8 mm diameter stems, and those with 3/8" diameter stems. Some indicators ship with a lug back, others have flat backs and lug backs need to be ordered separately. There will of course be some variation from one manufacturer to another. For a detailed comparison of manufacturers and brand names, refer to page 14.
Where they're made (current models):
- Brown & Sharpe (B&S): Germany or Switzerland
- Brown & Sharpe (USA): discontinued models with vanity dials probably made by BC Ames
- Compac: Switzerland
- Dorsey: USA
- Etalon: Switzerland
- Federal: USA
- Gem: Japan
- Kafer: Germany (unless marked otherwise)
- Fowler: China
- MarCator (Mahr): Germany (made by Kafer)
- Mahr-Federal: USA (green dials) or Germany (while dials)
- Mercer: Switzerland
- Mercer: England (no longer available)
- Mitutoyo: Japan
- Peacock: Japan
- Roch: Switzerland
- SPI: China
- Standard Gage: China (unless otherwise noted) Models made in USA are obsolete.
- Starrett: USA
- Teclock: Japan
- Tesa: Switzerland
By clicking on a linked model number or brand name (shown in brown), you will be brought to a page with more detailed information.